Change is in the air – Stepping Back in 2018

Change is in the air – Stepping Back in 2018

Over the past 5 1/2 years Beer Me BC has risen from a small account of local craft beer to being a recognized source about craft beer news in British Columbia. Some 2,500 articles have been posted including over 1,400 beer reviews,  news releases and featured stories about breweries and the local industry. It has been quite a ride.

When I started Beer Me BC, it was a personal account of my explorations and education in craft beer. I was not an expert and I have never claimed to be one. I am a marketer and Beer Me BC has been a way to share my enjoyment in craft beer with others and help them better understand BC craft beer. It has always been a goal to get more people to drink craft beer and I think that in that light I have been successful.

Starting out in Spring of 2012 there were less than 50 breweries in operation and around 100 beers that were packaged by local brewers. Now, in 2018 there are triple the number of breweries and thousands of beers released every year. Any attempt to try everything will undoubtedly be met with failure. The industry has exploded and with it the success can be measured in beer. Craft beer today has evolved to be something completely different from 5 years ago. Beer Me BC has ridden this wave and it has been amazing to be a part of the local craft beer movement.

If you are thinking about starting up a blog, don’t expect to retire early. Adding up server costs, email marketing fees, purchasing beer, merchandise and the sheer amount of time involved in running the site, Beer Me BC has been a substantial personal investment. Don’t get me wrong, I have no regrets. As I mentioned, it is an investment, not a cost. An investment that has paid great dividends over the years. The dividends come in the form of immersion within the industry, meeting some amazing people, the satisfaction of nearly 500,000 annual views, and a career in the craft beer industry. So while Beer Me BC doesn’t pay the mortgage directly, it is responsible for where I am today.

As we bridge another year and step into 2018 I have come to a point where I need to step back from Beer Me BC. It has been an amazing ride but the 5+ articles per week that has been sustained for 5+ years must come to an end. Running Beer Me BC has been an amazing experience but the time has come. The site will remain open for contributors and new opportunities down the road. Also, the existing content will live on and less frequent content will be posted, but change is in the air.  Thank you to everyone that supported Beer Me BC over the years. Thank you for advertising, sharing product, sharing stories and thank you for reading.

The success of a blog doesn’t stem from the website. It comes from the readers, those that engage with content, discuss and tell their friends. The success of Beer Me BC,  comes from you. Thank you!

Cheers,

Dustan Sept
Beer Me BC Founder

Tags: beer me bc

About Author

dustansept

Dustan Sept is the founder of Beer Me BC. His passion for craft beer drove the creation of beermebc.com in 2012. To learn more about the beermebc.com editorial team visit beermebc.com/the-beer-me-bc-team/.

Comments

1. Lee Cation
    Lee Cation 1 January, 2018, 16:10

Congratulations Dustan

Reply this comment
  2. Michelle
    Michelle 2 January, 2018, 10:33

Congrats to you, and thanks for the last 5 years in beers! Townsite Brewing

Reply this comment
  3. seatoskybeerguy
    seatoskybeerguy 2 January, 2018, 10:33

Dustan your site has given me both inspiration and aspiration. To say nothing of actual content, which has always been both informative and entertaining. Whatever beermebc looks like moving forward, thanks for being the engine that got it here in the first place.

P.S.- you had me at Douglas Adams.

Reply this comment
  4. Gerry HIeter
    Gerry HIeter 2 January, 2018, 11:33

I’m going to miss having BMBC pop up on my email server every week Dustan. You did an amazing job these past years and I’d like to thank you on behalf of all the people who run the Great Canadian Beer Festival. Good luck with whatever you do next and don’t hesitate to get in touch with us for tickets in the future. Gerry HIeter

Reply this comment
  5. Jeremy Nemanishen
    Jeremy Nemanishen 3 January, 2018, 06:02

Thanks so much for everything you’ve done to help promote BC Craft Beer, Dustan! Beer Me BC was an inspiration to me and so many others when looking to online media as a way to share our love of craft beer. Cheers!

Reply this comment
    • What's Brewing
      What's Brewing 18 January, 2018, 20:13

Three Cheers for the young, handsome and talented Mr. Sept. His keen mind is sure to benefit the BC craft beer community in some future manner.

In the meantime: thanks for setting the bar as high as you have. Although trying to keep up with you has certainly contributed to a lack of sleep many a week over here. So you (and your new wife) have our full and complete sympathy for your past sacrifices.

Salut.

Reply this comment
    • What's Brewing
      What's Brewing 18 January, 2018, 20:14

And by the way, thanks to you Jer for your admirable contributions to BMBC as well. Nicely done!

Reply this comment
  6. alesessions
    alesessions 5 January, 2018, 15:29

Dustin, you’ve been one of the more refreshing voices in craft beer the last few years, especially with the honest reviews. It will be a shame to see Beermebc scale back, but I know it’s due to an even stronger commitment to the industry on your end in other forms. Cheers to all the success!

Reply this comment
  7. Mike
    Mike 18 January, 2018, 19:48

Sorry to hear you are stepping back as we came up in the industry together and it has been a blast interacting with you at the festivals and events. I hope even with you stepping back we see you at the events in the future.

Enjoy your new found time this will afford you.

Reply this comment